Washington, DC has rediscovered the climate. Democratic rising star, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is championing the New Green Deal. We take a look inside this climate manifesto to see what’s really there and whether it can be a blueprint for a clean energy future. Read More
Clean energy headlines from January:
* Corporate clean energy purchases in 2018 shattered all previous records.
* Tesla Model 3 outsold every other luxury vehicle in 2018.
* Germany gets more energy from renewables than coal in 2018.
* US Government predicts clean energy will dominate grid buildouts in 2019. Read More
Looking back, 2018 was an amazing year for clean energy. Price and installation records were shattered across the globe. EVs took off. Grid scale batteries proved they worked at scale. Even the US solar tariffs were not enough to stop the clean energy juggernaut. Read More
Clean energy headlines from November:
– New renewables pull ahead of coal in cost race
– MorningStar: Coal has an ugly future
– Midterm elections were also about clean energy and clean energy lost
– California utilities under a crushing legal assault
– A radical new approach to electrical storage. Read More
The biggest clean energy headlines of October:
* The US is about to surpass 1 million electric vehicles.
* The US Government has written off $500 million in “clean coal” research since 2010.
* The US is on track for record coal retirements in 2018
* California utilities are proactively creating blackouts to avoid more powerline caused wildfires.
* Chernobyl is once again generating power but this time it’s solar. Read More
* Utilities have a problem. The public wants clean energy and quick.
* New battery promises cost-competitive grid-level storage.
* Solar farms across North Carolina were unscathed by Hurricane Florence.
* ARPE-E goes on a quest for the holy grail of the grid – long-term energy storage. Read More
* Freeing Energy is on Facebook!
* The world reaches 1,000 gigawatts of wind and solar power.
* California is about to commit to 100% clean energy by 2045.
* “Big oil asks the government to protect it from climate change.”
* Wind energy is now at 2 cents per kilowatt-hour
* Facebook commits to 100% clean energy by 2020 Read More
On August 7, 2018, an untrimmed tree fell on an electrical transmission line in Puerto Rico, leaving 130,000 people in San Juan without power for an hour and a half. Big deal, right? When compared to the immense and long-lasting damage done to the island’s grid by Hurricane Maria the year before, a brief power… Read More
* Embattled EPA head, Scott Pruitt, resigns
* Does nuclear power help or hurt U.S. national security?
* Hoover Dam as a giant battery?
* First glimpse of Tesla’s grid controller
* The hottest recorded month on earth Read More
Solar prices poised to take another huge plunge – China dropped a bombshell by reducing its financial support for solar deployments across the country. As the largest buyer of solar in the world, China’s reduced demand will create excess capacity in Chinese solar factories, which in turn will almost certainly plummet worldwide prices another 20-30%… Read More